The Fair Play initiative was designed by the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) and UNICEF. It integrates sports (cricket) and education to create a heightened awareness of abuse with a focus on “Being a Hero” by “Breaking the Silence” against child abuse. The campaign uses a four-prong approach:
1) The use of a media advertisement and engagement (i.e. television, print and social media)
2) Training of trainers
3) Training of coaches, and
4) The use of a specialized school curriculum with students.
This initiative aims to strengthen capacity of both coaches and children in the sporting arena to realize and practice their right to be protected from allegation and abuse respectively.
• To increase an awareness of child abuse in the sporting arena in Trinidad and Tobago through training coaches about appropriate procedures in the prevention of child abuse and the protection of their charges.
• To teach children prevention and protection protocol in regards to abuse
• To sensitize coaches of measures they may exercise to prevent allegation of child abuse
• To contribute to raising public awareness of child abuse and encouraging the public to break the silence by reporting and speaking out against child abuse